Saturday, February 19, 2011

Disaster, Diversity and its TOO doggone easy.

So it's been about a week since my last post and I apologize for that but they keep us just a tad bit busy. AKA I barely have time to breathe let alone create blog posts. This has quite possibly been one of the longest weeks of my life so I'm gonna have to go through my actual schedule to remember everything. Let me see if I can break it down day by day.

Monday: We had PT at the ass crack of dawn and then we had unit time and did some team building so it was pretty fun. It was also our last day with our temporary teams so it was also pretty sad :(

Tuesday: Disaster services overview facilitated by the red cross. Sounds like fun right? Yeah I thought so too until we had to sit there for almost eight hours. But there is no denying that what we learned is going to be invaluable during our service so it was ok. After that was done we played a game to figure out what our permanent teams would be. It was so exciting! I'm on Buffalo 2! My team leaders name is Constantino aka Chappy and he seems pretty awesome...just don't be late to the van...because he will leave you. The rest of my team is chill, there is Angela from Long Island who was on my temporary pod, Christine from Wisconsin, Brie from Hawaii, Patrick from Maryland, Tomoyo (aka Tomo) from Los Angeles, Benton from Kansas City, Kendrick from DC, and Erin from Brooklyn. We're a very diverse group and I really hope we take that as a positive thing and are able to learn from each other over the next ten months. I think so... But then according to my Myers-Briggs test I'm the most optimistic.

Wednesday: Red Cross shelter simulation which was really engaging and fun! I could now have no problem (almost) setting up a disaster shelter with my team. We came back and did some PT outside in one of the fields of goose poop.. Chappy really likes PT and I have a feeling he's gonna kick my butt this year.

Thursday: PT at 6am again followed immediately by van driver training zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Need I say more? But we had a scavenger hunt with all the teams in the buffalo unit that was pretty awesome later on. (we totally should have won).

Friday: Diversity training. It was intense. Some people.... Later we went to target and had dinner and just chilled out in general with our new fantastic teams.

That brings us to today. I had a drug test a few hours ago and in a couple hours my team will be heading off to DC to volunteer at a swim meet from 6am to 6pm Sunday. It'll be a long day but I know we'll rock it :) (again... Most optimistic).

I hope all is going swimmingly (pun intended) wherever it is you may be. Things here become more challenging and more fun every day and I'm learning a lot about myself. I'm excited to break out of my comfort zone and push my limits even further. I promise I'll have some more pictures for you guys next time.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment: